Hospice supporter Graham Hunt set off on his 30-hour walkathon from Weston Hospicecare’s Jackson-Barstow House at 9.30am today (Friday).
Graham is taking part in a year-long series of fundraising challenges in aid of Weston Hospicecare which includes climbing Kilimanjaro, running 30 marathons in 30 days and spending 30 hours in a bath full of slime.
He has already completed his January challenge which was swimming 30 laps of the Nuffield Health pool in 30 consecutive days.
Graham said he will be heading towards Burnham-on-Sea first before deciding where the rest of his walk will take him. Although, he aims to be at Sand Bay for sunrise on Saturday morning.
He said: “I’d love to make it to Sand Point for sunrise just to see the colours at the first light of day before returning to the hospice later on in the day.”
Graham will finish the walkathon at 3.30pm on Saturday, 30 hours after he started from hospice HQ.
He arrived, dressed in plenty of layers in preparation for the wet and windy conditions outside, for a coffee and a slice of cake at 9am to fuel up for the 9.30am departure.
He said: “This gives me an opportunity to test my gear for Kilimanjaro later in the year.”
This is the second challenge Graham has set himself in a gruelling series of physical and mental challenges to raise funds for Weston Hospicecare in the 30th anniversary of caring for people in Weston-super-Mare and much of Northern Somerset with life-limiting conditions.
To reward Graham for his amazing fundraising efforts, click here to visit his JustGiving page to leave a donation.
The hospice relies on fundraising, donations and retail avenues to support 80% of its £4.2million running costs every year, with the remaining 20% funded by the NHS.