A Weston Hospicecare shop volunteer says she will do anything she can to support the charity after two close friends received treatment before they both died.
Wendy Griggs (pictured right), aged 71, volunteers in the hospice’s Yatton shop and started six years ago after the hospice cared for a friend.
Three years later, another of Wendy’s friends died in the hospice’s inpatient unit.
Wendy said: “A good friend of mine died six years ago and was cared for by the hospice.
“Then my closest friend died three years ago in the hospice. So even more I wanted to be involved to raise funds, keep the shops open, to help bring about seven-day care. My family and I also run and take part in fundraising events.
“The most rewarding part of my role is raising money for a clear cause but I also enjoy the camaraderie.
“Typically I spend time operating the till, tagging items and welcoming and chatting to customers and listen to their tales.”
Wendy also says the hospice has huge importance it serves and encourages anyone thinking of volunteering at the hospice to join her.
She added: “The hospice is very, very, very important to the local area and I suggest volunteering at the charity to all sorts of people as I thoroughly enjoy it.”
The hospice has an army of volunteers who are worth more than £1million to the hospice through the time they devote to the charity every year.
The NHS provides only 20% of the £4.2million running costs of the hospice annually meaning the remaining 80% must be raised locally.